Left to right, 4th row (top): Andrew, Minsoo, Allison. 3rd row: Michael, Bernice, Brian, Michael, Diana. 2nd row: David, Zhikai, Cameron, Alex, Dante, Stephanie. 1st row: Victor, Nina, David, Will, Catie, Danny, Michael (your host).
Left to right: Ben, Eamon, and Ken
What is here?
The notes here summarize the main points of a class session. They typically continue the discussion with additional material or thoughts. If you lost a handout from class, you can find it here as a pdf file.
You will also find the assignments, syllabus, remarks about grades, and advice on writing philosophy papers here. Announcements, reserve readings, and the class roster are available through Sakai.
What Is Law?
- Handout: Natural law
- Exercises: necessary and sufficient conditions
- Austin on command and obligation
- Austin on sovereignty
- Hart’s positivism
- Legal Realism updated 4 Feb.
- Hart on legal realism
- The separation of law and morality
- Handout: Helots
- Fuller on the morality of law
- The Speluncean Explorers
- Justice Scalia’s originalism
- Handout: Scalia’s originalism
- Dworkin vs. Scalia updated 28 Feb.
- Handout: the Constitution
- Socrates on obeying the law
- Handout: Consent and Legal Obligation
- King on civil disobedience updated 9 Mar.
- Handout: Shadrach and friends