I am a Professor of Mathematics at Pomona College; previously I was a Professor at Purdue University. Here's my explanation of why I left Purdue after 14 years. You can read about my life in detail at the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
I've been working on properties of Selmer groups for elliptic curves using class groups of number fields, as well as properties of Dessins d'Enfants. I run an REU which focuses on understanding properties of Belyi maps, and I maintain a blog about Dessins d'Enfants.
I am also working on a history project for African Americans in the mathematical sciences. I am the lead for updating the MAD Pages. You can check out the Speaker Series on my work, an Article in MAA Focus, and a Blogpost on the work.
The easiest way to contact me is by scheduling a time with Calendly.
Activity within Professional Organizations
- Member of the Advisory Committee for the 4S Education Foundation.
- Member of the AAAS Scientific Program Committee for the 2022 Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Member of the Committee on Committees (CONC) for the American Mathematical Society (AMS). As of February 1, 2022, I will also serve on the AMS Committee on the Profession (COPROF) as well as the AMS Prize Oversight Committee (POC).
- As of February 1, 2022, I will be a member of the Board of Trustees for the Association of Members of the Institute for Advanced Study (AMIAS).
- Associate Editor for La Matematica, the official Journal of the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM). I am also on the AWM Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) Initiative, Inc.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the College Bridge.
- Member of the AdHoc Committee on Diversity (CoD) for the International Mathematical Union (IMU).
- As of February 1, 2022, I will be a member of the Board of Trustees for the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM).
- Representative of the Southern California/Nevada Section for the Mathematical Association of America (MAA). As of February 1, 2022, I will be the Chair of the MAA Congress.
- Lead Program Director for the African Diaspora Joint Mathematics Workshop (ADJOINT) run by the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) in Berkeley, CA.
Talks and Appearances
- On February 4, 2022, I will attend the Annual Board of Trustees Meeting at the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics in Los Angeles, CA.
- On February 10, 2022, I will be on a virtual panel discussion titled Navigating Mathematical Spaces While Black at Montgomery County Community College in Montgomery County, PA.
- From February 18 to February 20, 2022 I will attend the 2022 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA.
- On March 3, 2022, I will give the Mathematics Colloquium at the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ.
- On March 30, 2022, I will be a special guest for Lillian Pierce's Math 290: Special Topics in the History of Mathematics at Duke University in Durham, NC.
- On April 1, 2022, I will give an Invited Address for the MAA Southwestern Section + ArizMATYC Joint Conference at Arizona State University in Mesa, AZ.
- On April 7, 2022, I will give the 2022 MAA Project NExT Lecture on Teaching and Learning at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in Seattle, WA.
- On April 8, 2022, I will speak in the AMS Special Session Number Theory at Non-PhD Granting Institutions at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in Seattle, WA.
- On April 8, 2022, I will speak in the AMS Special Session Collaborative undergraduate research: Experiences with CURM at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in Seattle, WA.
- On April 9, 2022, I will be a panelist for Holding AMS Sectional Meetings in Localities with Discriminatory Practices as organized by the AMS Committee on Meetings and Conferences (CoMC) at the Joint Mathematics Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- On April 9, 2022, I will give an Invited Address for the MAA Kansas Section (KSMAA) at Benedictine College, in Atchison, KS.
- On April 19, 2020, I will give the keynote address for the webinar Developing Inclusive Learning Experiences for Quantitative Skills at the University of Baltimore in Baltimore, MD.
- On August 3, 2022, I will give the Pi Mu Epsilon J. Sutherland Frame Lecture at MAA MathFest in Philadelphia, PA.
- From September 30 to October 1, 2022, I will give a series of talks at the Iowa Section of the MAA Fall Meeting at Coe College in Cedar Rapids, IA.
- In March 2023, I will give a talk at the Kentucky Section of the MAA Annual Meeting at Georgetown College, Georgetown, KY.
Featured In the Media
- Modern Mathematics Confronts Its White, Patriarchal Past (Scientific American; August 12, 2021)
- Mission to diversify mathematics pushes professor to leave top spot (Spectrum News 1; June 29, 2021)
- Mathematical Lives: A Profile of Edray Goins (June 19, 2020)
- The Cooper Union's 160th Commencement took place on Tuesday May 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM in the Great Hall. Professor Edray Goins of Pomona College gave the keynote address. (Cooper Union YouTube Channel; May 21, 2019)
- What I Learned While Reporting on the Dearth of Black Mathematicians (New York Times; February 20, 2019)
- For a Black Mathematician, What It's Like to Be the 'Only One' (New York Times; February 18, 2019)
- How Abstract Math Can Analyze Social Injustice (Science Friday Live; June 22, 2018)
- 2004 Emerging Scholars of the Year -- Taking the Tough Road (Black Issues in Higher Education; January 15, 2004)
- L.A Effort Guides Blacks to Colleges (San Francisco Examiner; April 29, 1990)
- 2 L.A. Students Win Merit Scholarships for Blacks (Los Angeles Times; March 29, 1990)