I am a Professor of Mathematics at Pomona College; previously I was a Professor at Purdue University. Here's my explanation of why I left Purdue after 14 years. You can read about my life in detail at the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
I've been working on properties of Selmer groups for elliptic curves using class groups of number fields, as well as properties of Dessins d'Enfants. I run an REU which focuses on understanding properties of Belyi maps, and I maintain a blog about Dessins d'Enfants. I am also working on a history project for African Americans in the mathematical sciences; I am the lead for updating the MAD Pages. I am always looking for students to assist with projects! Click here to learn more.
The easiest way to contact me is by scheduling a time with Calendly.
Activity within Professional Organizations
Talks and Appearances
- On January 27, 2023, I will give a colloquium talk at Howard University in Washington, DC.
- On February 2, 2023, I will give a seminar talk in the Department of Statistics at the University of California in Irvine, CA.
- On February 13, 2023, I will give a talk in the Contextualizing Engineering and Applied Science: History, Ethics, and Identity in STEM Seminar Series at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, CA.
- On February 17-18, 2023, I will attend the Conference on Strengthening Community in Research Mathematics (SCRM) at Pomona College in Claremont, CA. This is my 50th Birthday Conference!
- On February 24, 2023, I will visit the class E 100: Special Topics in Engineering Applied Science at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, CA.
- On February 25, 2023, I will speak at the MAA Golden Section 2023 Annual Meeting at Santa Rosa Junior College in Santa Rosa, CA.
- On March 30, 2023, I will give a colloquium talk at Rice University in Houston, TX.
- On April 1, 2023, I will give a talk at the Kentucky Section of the MAA Annual Meeting at Georgetown College in Georgetown, KY.
- On April 15, 2023, I will give a talk at the MAA EPaDel (Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware) Spring 2023 Section Meeting at Penn State Brandywine in Media, PA.
- On April 21-22, 2023, I will speak at the MAA Rocky Mountain Section Spring 2023 Meeting at Black Hills State University in Spearfish, SD.
Featured In the Media
- Mathematicians, Hopeful and Hurting (Inside Higher Ed, January 9, 2023)
- Edray Goins is Interviewed by David Zierler (Caltech Heritage Project YouTube Channel, September 26, 2022)
- Pomona and Cal Poly students team up to document Black contributions to mathematics (The Student Life, March 10, 2022)
- Edray Goins on being a Black mathematician, building community, and confronting racism in academia (The Student Life, February 17, 2022)
- Mission to diversify mathematics pushes professor to leave top spot (Spectrum News 1; June 29, 2021)
- The Cooper Union's 160th Commencement took place on Tuesday May 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM in the Great Hall. Professor Edray Goins of Pomona College gave the keynote address. (Cooper Union YouTube Channel; May 21, 2019)
- What I Learned While Reporting on the Dearth of Black Mathematicians (New York Times; February 20, 2019)
- For a Black Mathematician, What It's Like to Be the 'Only One' (New York Times; February 18, 2019)
- How Abstract Math Can Analyze Social Injustice (Science Friday Live; June 22, 2018)
- 2004 Emerging Scholars of the Year -- Taking the Tough Road (Black Issues in Higher Education; January 15, 2004)
- L.A Effort Guides Blacks to Colleges (San Francisco Examiner; April 29, 1990)
- 2 L.A. Students Win Merit Scholarships for Blacks (Los Angeles Times; March 29, 1990)